[CAUT] Key Spacing: The Distal End

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Aug 20 13:31:15 MDT 2009

reggaepass at aol.com wrote:
> When spacing (i. e., bending) the portion of the key between the balance
> pin and the distal end (where the lifter felt is) is indicated, does
> anyone have a technique that works particularly well for them? Â We are
> experimenting with heat alone (which we have found to be extremely
> slow-going, so far) and with steam (more rapid results, but harder to
> contain than heat without all that moisture in it). Â Thoughts?
>
> Alan Eder

I tried some things along those lines many years back for
spacing and straightening twisted keys, and finally gave up on
it. Steaming seemed to leave enough residual moisture (I
guess), that the key didn't stay where I put it. Dry heat
wouldn't let me get it where I wanted it in the first place.
Maybe I didn't char them enough. <G> In any case, I decided I
could keep trying through two birthdays, or just kerf the
things and steer them where I wanted them dry and cold. It
doesn't come up that often (one less incentive to spend time
developing a bending technique that I could get to work once
in a row), so kerfing still works for me in those rare
instances when it's necessary.

Ron N