[CAUT] CAF

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Aug 21 09:53:16 MDT 2009

	I more or less started the part of this thread dealing with distance
from cushion to shank. I'd just like to do one final summing up of my
take on the issue:

	Manufacturers have universally, to the best of my knowledge, stated
that shanks should not rest on cushions, but should be about a shank's
width above, not much more. I'll take that as recommending a parameter
of maybe 2 to 8 mm distance.
	In regulating grand actions, trying to come up with the best blow
distance and dip, we often end up with shanks farther off the
cushions, sometimes to an extreme. There are many underlying causes,
but this is a reality most of us have faced.
	Many techs have decided that this distance above the cushions isn't
important, as bench testing and action model experiments show an
action will function adequately with larger distances.
	Field testing, OTOH, with actual pianists playing music on
instruments, has shown that excess distance can lead to problems.
Causes may vary. A common one would be tenor hammer felt contacting a
check at some point during rebound and catching to a greater or lesser
degree. There are many other possible scenarios, but in any case,
experience shows that problems show up.
	Hence, IMO, when the distance is outside parameters, it is best to
address it, most easily by filling in the space. I agree with my
esteemed colleague Herr Solliday that (relatively) firm is better than
soft.
	There are a lot of other reasons for action failure, and those should
be addressed as well. Narrowing the gap between shank and cushion is
not a cure all.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico