[CAUT] Key straightening; was Key Spacing: The Distal End

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 22 13:31:27 MDT 2009

>I have used Roger's suggestion in some of the harpsichord warping with
>varied success. Would have to say that I believe much depends on the age
>of the key stick receiving the treatment.  Guess is that moisture content
>of the wood before during and after the might be the determining factor
>for success rates. Does anyone have a detailed analysis? Maybe Andre or
>the folks from Kluge.
>
>BTW  Love the jig design Alan (?). Have to make me one.
>
>Gerry

Hi Gerry,
                 You are correct in your observations.  First un warp the
key with water and heat gun or travel iron and rag. Where possible I will
leave a key clamped in position, on a flat board, (kitchen counter top type
material.) Really dry the key down with a hair drier, not a heat gun.
You have to be creative with clamps and shims to get the desired position.
Install key and check for position and shape. Once satisfied I will coat
sides with CA, whilst clamped to the board. Long winded I know, but it works.
PS Lay a sheet of poly on the board, don't want to glue the key to the
board.  Don't ask :-[

Regards Roger