[CAUT] HVAC information - Data Loggers

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Tue Jan 6 08:14:48 PST 2009

These are very cool and an excellent weapon to have at your side when
you're meeting with administration and the folks from facilities.  It
is one thing to complain to them about humidity swings but to show
them accurate graphs with the facts right there in color is very
powerful.

My problem is that all of these data loggers are for windows
software.  Does anyone out there know of a decent data logger that is
compatible with Mac?  The last time I did this I had to get a old
windows computer from surplus and run all of that separate.
Everything in this building is Mac and it's a royal pain to go back
and forth.

Chris

On Jan 6, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Don Mannino wrote:

> Perhaps someone has already mentioned this and I missed it, but I have
> come across a great tool for diagnosing and illustrating environmental
> issues.  It is a relatively inexpensive and small data logger.
>
> http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/usb_loggers.html
>
> I like the TW-USB-2, which costs $82 and is quite accurate.
>
> You install a small program with USB drivers in your computer, then
> plug
> in the data logger.  You tell it through the software how often you
> want
> to take measurements, and when to start measuring.  You then take the
> data logger out of the computer, and place it in the room you want to
> check.  It's only a few inches long, so can be taped under a piano
> easily.
>
> After whatever length of time you want recorded, you plug the logger
> back into the computer and it makes a very nice graph of the
> temperature
> and humidity levels.  This can be printed.
>
> It seems to me that this kind of a tool would be a great aid in
> illustrating how severe the conditions are, and armed with this chart
> and some backup materials related to humidity levels and piano
> soundboards, you would be better prepared to discuss the need for
> better
> controls in a building.
>
> I attached a PDF of one of the charts, a measurement of the overnight
> conditions in our Shigeru Kawai showroom here in California.  You can
> just see the temperature and humidity bump up at the very end when I
> picked it up and carried it to my office to download the readings in
> the
> morning.
>
> Don Mannino
> <SK Rm 12-31.pdf>