[CAUT] P22 Foam Core in Keybed/Player

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 12:38:24 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu> wrote:

>  All,
>

> Have any of you installed a player system in a P22? I understand there is a
> foam core in the keybed to reduce noise. I called Yamaha to verify this and
> they said some indeed do. If that is the case, then cutting out the back for
> the tray may be disastrous for keybed stability. When the tray is screwed
> into solid wood the keybed becomes stable again. Any thoughts, experiences?
> Would a UST7 be better? (We own 276 P22s and 31 UST7s)
>

> BTW, we want to install a player unit for the practice room for the
> "theater and dance" students. We own 27 Disklaviers and are looking for
> cheaper alternatives, since these units DON'T need to record, just playback.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Jim Busby BYU

Hi Jim,

I have used the angle Iron approach for sagging keybeds or the old Kimballs
with the "washboard" keybeds. I used a skilsaw and cut a kerf 3/4's of the
way through the keybed then placed the angle iron in the kerf drilled holes
and screwed it to the underside of the keybed.
For your purposes I don't know why this approch wouldn't work with some
modification. Perhaps placing/gluing a hardwood strip in to the keybed for
the screws to hold onto?
Good luck,
Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404