[CAUT] temperament for Schubert (Fred Sturm)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 13 07:30:29 PST 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 3:06 PM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> Though we will never know what keyboard composers of centuries past
> were hearing when they played a certain chord or made a modulation,
> we do know that prior to the twentieth century, they WERE hearing
> non-homogenized harmonies.

Well, that is certainly a commonly accepted statement. I'm not sure
that it is accurate.

Looking at the most reliable information, the measurements of
Alexander Ellis, we have proof that WT principles survived into the
1880s in Broadwood's Best #4. (And we have Ludwig the Steinway tuner
as well, and other anecdotal information, suggesting the traditions
survived into the 20th century, including mean tone procedures). But
we also have others of Ellis' measurements (including Broadwood's Best
#5) which show a very close approximation of ET. So close that I doubt
very much any of us could distinguish (unisons being equal) from a
very precise ET - in actual performance, not slow listening to
interval sequences.

Jorgensen's major thesis is that ET was not practiced in fact before
the 20th century (because of lack of precise enough instructions).
This thesis is based on a definition of ET as "able to pass the PTG
tuning test." Is this actually an appropriate threshold? I am not
convinced that it is. I think there is a much wider range of "quasi-
ET" that is, for practical purposes, indistinguishable from ET,
unisons being equal. That is, that neither sharp-eared musicians nor
sharp-eared tuners (with possible rare exceptions) would be able to
hear a musical difference, let alone a general public. Much of
Jorgensen's work on so-called "Victorian temperaments" is an attempt
to intuit what "mistakes" would be likely to to occur following a
particular temperament sequence, even though the sequence itself
prescribes ET quite explicitly, and certainly does not "ask for key
color."

It is certainly true that the historical data are mixed. For many
years, there was an acceptance of the false notion that ET was
generally practiced from the time of Bach. In the zeal to correct this
historical error, a contrary opinion has been promoted: that ET didn't
exist, or at least that WT was prevalent, to the end of the 19th and
beginning of the 20th century.

I don't think either position is true. I think that several tuning
traditions lived side by side, from the early 18th century through the
early 20th, and that very reasonable approximation of ET was one of
them from fairly early in that span. There was a strong movement in
favor of ET from at least the early 19th century, with almost all
tuning instructions purporting to lead to ET. So while one musician/
composer might well be exposed to non-ET tuning for the most part
(because of the strength of tradition over theory), and another mostly
to "quasi-ET," we have no way of knowing which was which, or whether
they cared. Unless they tell us. Hummel tells us he didn't care.
Schubert didn't tell us anything about tuning.

	We're left hanging, but at least we have fodder for endless
conversation <G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico