[CAUT] temperament for Schubert (Fred Sturm)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 13 08:22:28 PST 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 3:45 PM, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>    Given that the best tuners at Broadwood's were calling a well
> temperament
> 'equal' in 1885 should be indicative that what we call well-
> tempering today
> was the norm before the turn of the century

Hi Ed,
	I think you overstate the case. Let's not forget that there were
three "Broadwood's Best" tuners whose work was measured by Ellis. #5
would have passed the PTG tuning exam (at least the temperament
portion), as would one of the organ tunings he measured. #4 definitely
was a "traditionalist" who had been taught in a WT mode. #3 seems a
bit haywire - maybe he had a bad day <G>. Jorgensen's own conclusion,
based on Ellis' measurements of four piano and three organ tuners, is
that approximately half of the tunings done at that time had marked WT
flavor. It's too small a sampling to draw firm conclusions.
	From the Ellis evidence plus tuning instructions of the time (like
Tuner's Guide), Jorgensen extrapolates his notion of the Victorian
Temperament, which has elements of WT. But we must remember that this
is an extrapolation. And we must remember that there were examples of
"very close approximation to ET" alongside WT examples. In all
likelihood, the historical reality was a continuum between very close
to ET, WT, and strong tendencies toward MT (1/6 comma and milder with
alterations).
	I don't believe we can say that WT was "the norm" in an absolute
sense at any time in history - it was competing with MT early on, and
ET later. It was probably prevalent, in the sense of maybe more than
half, from about 1730 to about 1830 (about being very approximate and
rough, with all kinds of regional variants). Of course, it depends
where you draw lines between the various systems, as they are all
inter-related historically and in practice.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu