[CAUT] temperament for Schubert (Fred Sturm)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 13 08:48:47 PST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Porritt, David wrote:

> We know that Chopin had a favorite tuner though we don't know what
> he tuned.  We know that when he toured England and Broadwood
> supplied pianos and tuning - and they were trying hard for ET - that
> he didn't like it.

	I don't think that there is evidence that ET tendencies were stronger
in England than in France in Chopin's time. In fact, the opposite is
more likely, to the best of my knowledge. Rameau was a very strong
early advocate of ET. France had a very strong rationalist tradition,
dating particularly from the late 18th century (they were the
proponents of the metric system, remember). Claude Montal's book on
tuning and other aspect of the piano is very strongly pro-ET. Montal
was very influential among piano circles in France in the mid 19th
century, maybe on a par with Braid White in the US in the early 20th
century.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico