[CAUT] temperament for Schubert (Fred Sturm)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 13 12:52:42 PST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 10:57 AM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND ABOUT HOW MUCH DEVIATION A TEMPERAMENT CAN
> HAVE AND STILL PASS THE PTG TUNING TEST, ISN'T IT POSSIBLE THAT MANY
> PEOPLE TODAY WHOSE AIM IT IS TO TUNE EQUAL TEMPERAMENT ARE ACTUALLY
> PRODUCING SOMETHING CLOSER TO THE REALM OF QUASI-EQUAL?

Yep. Of course, it depends where you draw a line. Myself, I prefer a
much wider definition of ET, one which would include "quasi-equal" and
"Victorian." I think that is more in keeping with what people actually
hear.

>   It is certainly true that the historical data are mixed. For many
> years, there was an acceptance of the false notion that ET was
> generally practiced from the time of Bach. In the zeal to correct
> this historical error, a contrary opinion has been promoted: that ET
> didn't exist, or at least that WT was prevalent, to the end of the
> 19th and beginning of the 20th century.
>
> OK, SO IN MY NAIVETE I DRANK JORGENSEN'S KOOL-AID.

My positions/opinions are possibly somewhere around mainstream in
music scholarship circles, meaning there are more or less equal
numbers of passionate believers on either side of me, as well as vast
numbers who are agnostic. In those piano tuning circles in which
historical and other non-ET temperaments are hot topics, Jorgensen's
views tend to prevail, to be accepted as gospel, to the best of my
knowledge. How well his views are understood is another matter.
Perhaps I should have put it differently: "A popular view of what
Jorgensen wrote" in place of "Jorgensen's views."

I have the utmost respect for Jorgensen's work. I disagree in some
areas of interpretation, but he is the one who did much of the work of
collecting and making available the materials on which we can base an
interpretation. His own interpretations tended to be less absolute
than those of many of his purported followers. He was very much a lone
voice in the wilderness initially, so his writings have a tone that
may have erred on the side of advocacy. He was really swimming against
a strong current, and was vilified for his efforts. I remember well a
heated exchange of letters in the Journal between him and Virgil Smith
in the early 80s. IOW, I wouldn't call it Jorgensen's Kool-ade. It was
simply passionate advocacy for material that had been ignored,
collecting the evidence and presenting it, making it clear that the
"all ET since Bach" position was patently a false one.

In any case, my major point in going to this kind of trouble writing
on this topic is to point out that there are very few cut and dried
"facts." It is mostly conjecture, and the evidence, such as it is, is
contradictory, and subject to many possible interpretations.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu