[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 19:36:56 PST 2009

Along these lines my experience suggests that non equal temperaments sound
best on lower tension scales where the upper partials are not so prominent.
Historical instruments, not surprisingly, have very low tension scales when
compared to the modern piano.  In spite of the fact that the plucked
harpsichord with the use of a plectrum instead of a hammer tends to excite
the higher partials proportionately more than a hammer would on the same
instrument, the fundamental tone is still quite dominant.  I wonder whether
the move away from non equal temperaments in the modern era doesn't have
something to do with the ever increasing scale tensions that have taken
place during the same time.  In this respect, I find the imposition of non
equal temperaments on modern instruments to be less pleasing than on their
historical counterparts.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com