[CAUT] Speaking of Chopin...

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 20:47:59 PST 2009

Gang,

Speaking of Chopin, I have here a little excerpt from a rather scathing
contemporary review of his music (out of a very fun little book that I
highly recommend - "Lexicon of Musical Invective" by Nicholas Slonimsky.
It's a collection of reviews panning some of the greatest composers -
starting from Beethoven).
Anyway, L. Rellstab writes on August 2, 1833 for the Berlin publication
"Iris" about the three Nocturnes opus 9: "Furthermore, Chopin has again
not failed to choose the remotest keys, B flat minor, B major and, of
course, E flat Major". In general his music is being panned for its
wild, crude sound - often citing key choice. Now, if quasi-equal
temperament is being used - what difference does key choice make? Would
Herr Rellstab be so bent out of shape about having to listen to B flat
minor if it didn't sound much different from D minor? Whatever tuning
system Chopin used, those outer keys must have sounded quite wild for
reviewers to object to them so vehemently...

Israel Stein