[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jan 14 08:57:02 PST 2009

	Someone asked about Schubert's compositional tendencies - I can't
find the post. I refreshed my memory last might by looking through his
sonatas, and confirmed what I thought: he wandered _a lot_. He moved
constantly from key to key, often making sudden moves to very distant
keys, "enharmonic modulation." This is especially true of his works
for solo piano. I think that a WT would be very effective to
accentuate this aspect of his style, though it is quite striking in ET
as well.
	Also, looking at it historically, he was from the back woods in terms
of progress (Vienna may have been a musical capital for composers, but
it was a very conservative part of the world at the time). It is
likely that traditions of tuning in Germanic areas would go back
generations, and that the "fads of Paris" wouldn't have taken hold.
So, though Montal's work was current with Schubert, there is ample
reason to suppose that Schubert's harmonic/tuning world was more WT/MT
than ET.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico