[CAUT] Speaking of Chopin...Montal

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 11:36:01 PST 2009

Fred  writes:

<<  I thought I'd look back at Monsieur Montal's book, and it
really cuts the legs from under much of the speculation that has been
engaged in during this conversation. >>

 Greetings,
   I disagree.  Montal's instructions come under "How to tune your own
piano".  How many amatuers could tune ET with any kind of instruction?  I have seen
them try, even with demonstration, and very few even come close.   I also
doubt that the tuners of 1836 were more progressive than those of today, and look
how long it took Murray Barbour's work to have any effect on the tuning world,
even in an age of mass communication, books published, piano guilds, etc.  I
don't think tuners change fundamental habits that fast.
   And when it is documented that 50 years later, at Broadwood's, the
majority of the best tuners were still tuning a temperament that followed the
traditional form of WT, it is doubtful that Montal's influence was all that
widespread. His book is rare, mention of his work is scant, (so far as I have been able
to Google).  In comparison, Thomas Young was well enough known, in a variety
of fields,  to have been able to present his temperament to the Royal Academy.
 When you have entrance to the highest levels like that, I think the odds
favor wider acceptance, especially since Valotti paved the way.
    Another consideration is that Chopin's attachment to his favorite tuner
argues against there being ET involved, since ET is ET and if it was so
widespread, Chopin could have easily found another tuner to tune the same way.  ET
tuners would be considered fungible.  However, if his tuner was a WT guy, then
the individual nature of tempering could easily have intrigued ole' Frederick
C.  (Or, if Chopin was as hopelessly neurotic as many great pianists, he could
have formed the attachment on things that have nothing to do with tuning...)
         Rellstab's noting of Chopins use of ugly keys making a wild crude
sound also argues against ET, doesn't it?
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours
in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26h
mpgID=62%26bcd=DecemailfooterNO62)</HTML>