[CAUT] Loud jack stops

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Wed Jan 14 12:28:34 PST 2009

I've been working on an Everett Concert Grand with excessive action
noise.  On key release there is a definite "clack" as the jack snaps
back under the knuckle and encounters the "spoon" (terminology?).
This is a 1942 WNG action that was rebuilt by SAMA.  The felt
punchings are of a thick woven green variety.  I lopped one off and
put on thick white (not as thick as green) and eliminated the "clack",
for how long?

I'm getting this one ready to go out and I'd like to find a reliable
long-term solution.  What are your favorite punchings and where do you
source them?

Sincerely,
Andrew Anderson