[CAUT] temperament for Schubert (Fred Sturm)

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Thu Jan 15 10:01:54 PST 2009

Yes..  one subtle compositional technique in F# or B maj for example that
creates an illusion of greater calm is not using the third on a primary
beat.  On 2 or 4 as opposed to 1 or 3 in 4/4 time.  I know several examples
of this in Chopin.  For better or worse we are talking about people who
didn't take much to expressing themselves with words. For all we know they
may not have even given it a lot of thought. These colors were the
prevailing keyboard language of the time, and they worked with it.

cheers,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf
_______