[CAUT] Speaking of Bach (was: temperament for Schubert)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Jan 18 12:14:44 PST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Israel Stein wrote:

> Speaking of Bach, there's actually quite a bit known about how he
> felt about meantone. For one, he was reputed to be an expert tuner,
> capable of tuning a harpsichord in 15 minutes (think at last 3 stops).

	My take on that anecdote: First, it was said he tuned his instrument
daily, spending 10 to 15 minutes or so. So he was doing what we do in
the concert hall, essentially touching up most of the time. Second. it
seems likely that he went straight to the pitch/interval relation he
was after. He did not fuss like modern piano tuners tend to do, but
found what was "good enough" and went on. I am sure from other
evidence that he was quite particular, but it seems likely that the
range of what would be acceptable was somewhat wide by current
standards.
	On the subject of how important the specific tuning was to him, I
think it is instructive to read CPE Bach's short section on tuning in
his True Art of Playing the Klavier. This book is pretty detailed in
many ways, and he was by no means "writing to save paper" (when he
wanted to, he went on at considerable length). CPE was very close to
his father, and was a champion of many of his ideas. For example, the
second volume of his work is devoted to thorough bass, and in it he is
clear in advocating for the "good taste" of the past, sometimes
mentioning his father, against the modern theoretical school of
Rameau. The difference here is between a harmonic theory based on
triads and one based on intervals. Rameau's triadic theory won out,
and was already prevalent at that time. CPE is reaching back to his
father's past, explaining the "true art."
	In any case, in his half a page about tuning, he spends most of it
praising the circulating temperament, where "the keyboard plays
equally in tune with all twenty-four tonalities." Some take him as a
proponent of ET. I do not. His statement that one should "take away
from _most_ of the fifths a barely noticeable amount of their absolute
purity" implies that there are a few just fifths. But what is missing?
There is no mention of the importance of a gradation of keys, not even
bare minimal instruction in where those pure/just fifths should be. If
he had strong ideas of "just exactly how" a keyboard should be tuned,
he didn't find it important enough to write them down and promote
them. So goes my interpretation.
	This is born out in other parts of the text, where he goes into great
detail of how to create a melody and how to fill in chords (speaking
particularly of the thorough bass volume - the first volume is mostly
about fingering and finger technique). In no instance does he say that
key center/tonality should be taken into account. In fact, he gives
exercises in transposition, suggesting that one choose keys at random,
in order to build up the chops for reading from figures. The
implication is that no alteration need be made for one key as opposed
to another.
	None of this says that temperament was completely unimportant to him
or to JS Bach. But I think it is rather telling to note their relative
silence on this, when they were so outspoken on many matters. It seems
that what was most important to both of them (and to many other
composers and musicians) was the principle that all keys should be
usable. They were pushing against mean tone more than they were
pushing for some defined alternative. At least that is how it appears
to me.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico