[CAUT] Speaking of Bach (was: temperament for Schubert)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jan 19 20:04:39 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Porritt, David wrote:

> With the talk of pure intervals, there is a group here in Dallas
> called the Vocal Majority and they are members of the Barber shop
> singing organization.  I would love to sit in on a rehearsal to see
> how the conductor teaches them to hear those pure intervals.  They
> are truly amazing.  I know they do listen to difference tones and
> the overtone series to "ring" their chords.  I've certainly been
> impressed with their intonation.  They win the national competition
> every 3 years.  Once you win you can't enter for the next two years.

Tartini, great violinist and violin teacher of the Italian Baroque,
had a method for teaching thirds that used a combination of partials
and difference tones, I believe. His method has survived to some
extent to this day, at least in some quarters. He was after them both
for double stops and for melodic lines, which is yet another twist.

Fred