[CAUT] Hammer flange rail split

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 09:38:23 PST 2009

I have a customer with a Baldwin D (1960's era) that has  a split in the hammer flange rail.  I have already repaired several stripped screw holes in this rail and now this is some further deterioration.     I need to decide whether to try to repair this or replace the whole rail.

Just as I finished rebuilding the action this summer, the screw holes got tired of all the work and several gave up the ghost.

I don't do the tuning on this piano because of the distance but they call me for repairs that the regular tuner doesn't do.  I haven't seen the split yet  - they just told me what he saw.

I believe other screw holes are on the verge of giving up their grip.  So, even if I expoxied this split there could be more problems later.

Ideas?

Would you make a new one from hard rock maple?

Thanks for input.

Bob Hull