[CAUT] Hammer flange rail split

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 09:46:49 PST 2009

Bob writes:
<<
I believe other screw holes are on the verge of giving up their grip.  So,
even if I expoxied this split there could be more problems later.

Ideas?

Would you make a new one from hard rock maple?

        I would use West System resin for this.  I'd take the rail off,
remove the flanges and sandpaper, and fill the split with the resin, allowing some
to creep into the holes, as well as filling the stripped ones.  Then, while it
is clamped up, I would lightly lube all the screws and run them into the
holes, making certain that they are straight up and down, and, critically
important,that they are in farther than the flange will ultimately allow.  This
insures that they will not bottom out in the resin, preventing the screw from
tightening the flange.
   Clean up all the squeeze out and when this thing sets up about half way,
back all the screws out 1/8 turn.  When the resin is fully cured, this rail
will probably be stronger than a new one. Cleaning off the excess will help
prevent a traveling nightmare when you re-install the flanges.
Hope that helps,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours
in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26h
mpgID=62%26bcd=DecemailfooterNO62)</HTML>