[CAUT] Scheduling Arrggs!

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 13:35:29 PST 2009

Hi Paul,

When I was the staff technician at Illinois Wesleyan, I contacted the directors of each of the ensembles at the beginning of the semester to get the dates of their concerts.  That worked very well.  When I was providing service for the public auditorium at Illinois State University, I tried to get the hall manager to send me an email every time a contract came through that required my services.  That didn't work quite as well, but it ended up that she sent me the hall calendar/schedule of events for the semester.  At least I had a schedule of possibilities!  Then I carefully timed calls to the stage manager to see what on the schedule required piano.

Good luck,

Barbara Richmond, RPT

near Peoria, Illinois

All,

How many times does it happen that I find out the day before a "live" performance on PBS (local) radio for a concert at 9am tomorrow morning.  Today's full!!  I know now I'll have to come in at 6am. (I know..boo hoo for me..I picked the job :>)  I remember many times in the private world where wealthy folks throwing a huge Christmas party with hired pianist....and forget to get the piano tuned until a day or two beforehand...but this is rediculous!  The Lied Center is a professional concert venue and they should know that I'm not there at the drop of a hat.  What do they think I do...just sit around and write e-mails to my collegues?!?!?!

This is a really nice Steinway B...but I haven't tuned it for two months!  Maybe 5:30am would be a better idea?  What have you folks done in these situations?

Thanks for advice...

Paul