[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

Daniel Rembold d_rembold at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 19:03:11 PST 2009

I have been experimenting with Historical Tunings the last few years, and have observed an effect which has yet to be mentioned in this discussion.

I had the privilege of attending a seminar a few years back in which Ed Foote had prepared a Steinway D in what I remember to be a Valotti-Young temperament.  It was the first time I had heard anyone play in other than ET to my knowledge. Enid Katahn was the pianist, and played the Adagio Cantabile from Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata.  Just beautiful.

Her remarks after playing followed the lines of much of the present discussion, about "tension" and feeling a sense of "home" when the harmony returned to the tonic.  I noticed the same horizontal effect, but I also was very impressed with what might be called a "vertical" or melodic effect.

In other words, certain melody notes had the effect of a sweet vibrato much like a violinist would do.  The note I particularly remember is the Ab (the third of the f minor triad) in the 3rd measure.  I have listened carefully to the same melody note in ET, and the "vibrato" simply isn't there.

There was a system of harmonic analysis devised by Hindemith, in which the notes of a chord ("vertical" harmony) are assigned a numeric value.  I wonder if we would do well to try to measure the effects of HT versus ET in a similar fashion.

Chopin seemed to revel in this kind of thing.  There are places, for example in the middle section of the Ballade in g minor, in which an alto note appears out of nowhere, a fourth below the melody note.  In ET the pianist has a hard time making any sense out of this, but in Kirnberger (just as an example), these alto notes sing out just like the little old ladies in a church choir.  Ditto for quite a few places in the Sonatas.

Say what you will, composers in the past must have had a better sense of discrimination (as a general observation) than most of us have today.

That's my 2 cents worth (pun intended).
Dan Rembold
Auburn University