[CAUT] Claudio Di Veroli & Equal Temperament

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 10:30:00 PST 2009

Dennis writes:
<<  "Polemics",

or a Polemical argument, is not necessarily emotionally based, but more

specifically ...."an aggressive attack on or refutation of the opinions of

another.... the art or practice of disputation or controversy."  It is one

of the oldest Polemical tricks in the book to label the other side as

Polemic. >>

    Hey, hey, I was just going to say that, though I didn't know it was an
old trick!
    My arguement is not a polemic because of what I said, but, rather, how it
was received.  I am not necessarily  attacking, but simply saying that, to
me,  the written evidence doesn't address the question of temperament as
effectively as the music.  This keeps the scientists from having much say, since the
question of beauty is beyond their realm.
    Why would I refuse to accept the written record?  I don't trust it.
  One example that may have bearing here is, according to Jorgensen, John,(or
maybe James) Broadwood publicly advertised their pianos as all being tuned in
equal temperament in the early 1800's, but the 1850's account of A.J. Hipkins
tells us that the tuners weren't tuning anything like ET.  30 years or so
later,  the Ellis research confirms that an approximation of ET was being
produced by only one out of the 4 factory tuners.  So, if a major manufacturer is
stating that ET was the coin of the realm, those that rely on the written record
are going to be thinking something other than what the tuners of the day were.

     I find it implausible that the tuners in the field had found much reason
to adopt the more difficult tuning, at this time.  I also question whether
the tuners on the continent were that much different.
    There is usually a big difference between the academic and the practical,
and I don't think the composers were too interested in the academic.  I think
they were far more concerned with the sensual aspects of tonal gravity and
harmony, and I think it is within that sphere that the answers reside.
    WT sure sells well, today.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours
in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26h
mpgID=62%26bcd=DecemailfooterNO62)</HTML>