[CAUT] Claudio Di Veroli & Equal Temperament

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Fri Jan 30 11:20:26 PST 2009

I think you have a good point here.  I've never tuned an unequal
temperament without first investigating what it's supposed to sound
like aurally.  Going strictly by the numbers does not guarantee that
the numbers actually are correct or that the technician has produced
a correct temperament.  Only by knowing, for example, that a
particular third is supposed to be 3 beats, or no beats does a person
know that the temperament is properly rendered.  In other words, it
may look like a duck and it may walk like a duck, but it may not
sound like a duck.

Richard West, quack tuner