[CAUT] Claudio Di Veroli & Equal Temperament

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Sat Jan 31 07:27:15 PST 2009

I can't argue against your reply.  But I'm not purporting to be the
scholar; I'm just trying to benefit from what "scholars" are
publishing.  When a web site or book states that a particular third
in a particular temperament is supposed to be tuned at 3 beats per
second, I accept that research has determined the author's published
size of the interval.  That is, if Werckmeister is an acknowledged
temperament, scholars have come to some agreement about the size of
the intervals in that temperament based on Werckmeister's own
writings.  But over the years I've seen different offset numbers for
the same temperament, so my inclination is to go back to the
calculated interval sizes to aurally confirm any set of offsets.

Yes, I can go back to the original sources, build a monochord, and
put on my scholar's thinking cap.   But I can say with some assurance
that I probably won't be doing that.  I'm no scholar. I accept the
scholarly work and remain open to what new research is finding.
There will be disputed areas; there will be some agreement.  I will
approach the work with some healthy skepticism, but I'm ultimately
going to accept some version of what the experts are telling me and
use that as a basis to set a temperament.

Perhaps what I'm saying is that given the research that's out there,
and my inclination to trust my ears more than a set of numbers, I
tend to favor aural descriptions of interval sizes rather than ETD
numbers.  Does trying to duplicate a historical temperament by using
contemporary methods automatically disqualify the result?  If so ETD
numbers are suspect as well as using beats.  The practical business
of tuning a temperament comes down to what method you prefer to
achieve a sound that may only truly exist in history.

Richard West