[CAUT] Health Care

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 10 13:50:14 MDT 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Kurt Ford wrote:

> 3) Would this force Schools to offer higher salaries to attract
> qualified Technicians?

	If we had national health insurance (like the overwhelming majority
of the civilized world), the schools (and other businesses - think GM)
would be relieved of that burden. And we would be relieved of paying
our health insurance deduction. It's hard to predict how everything
would end up in the long run, but in the short run, my take home pay
would double (as half time, my share is maybe 75%, with the U paying
25%; and my deduction is larger than my net take home pay).
	It's a complex issue, with many interlocking factors. But it is
important to note that employers like schools have been hit very, very
hard by the double digit annual inflation in health insurance costs,
just as we have. And it has tied their hands. They have been more or
less forced into spending more and more on this line item, which means
less for anything else.
	My out of pocket (health insurance deduction) for health insurance is
well over $10,000 a year, and the U kicks in another $5000 or so.
Amazing to me. I think my lifetime health expenses have been well
under that annual sum. Whatever your politics or prejudices or
attitude, the facts of the amount of money poured into this black hole
are simply astounding, if you stop and think about them. I think there
are far better ways of organizing that part of human existence.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu