[CAUT] Update info Steinway for sale

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 08:13:37 MDT 2009

Dan writes:

<< If anyone is interested in this piano for your school or private use,
please let me know.  The owner's indication to me is that any reasonable offer
will be considered. >>

         I think a reasonable price for rebuildable Steinway grands is $
1,000 per foot, if ebony, $1,300 if natural wood, with rosewood going for
maybe $1,800 per foot.  Fancy cases will of course be worth more.   Add maybe
another $250 if the ivory is good.
     For those of us that must contract out certain procedures, (such as
soundboards running about $10,000  depending on transportation, etc ,
refinishing at $ 6,000,) plus the cost of the piano at $6,000, cost of action parts
at near $3,000, the labor of doing the action, regulating, tuning, tuning
tuning,  cartage, back-up visits, and assuming the responsibility of a
warranty,  my market experience says that to sell it for $35,000
(difficult to do these days),  will net no more than what could have been
made doing all this work for someone else on their own piano!

        Anybody else got different figures for projects like this?  I would
love to know how the economics of rebuilding differ in other parts of the
country.
Thanks,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Looking for love this summer? Find it now on