[CAUT] un-lacquered Steinway hammers

carldroot at comcast.net carldroot at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 12:47:42 MDT 2009

I don't recall if this action was from Renner or perhaps Pratt Read. I'm pretty sure that the double flange parts available at the time needed some modification to fit right. Probably really intended to be replaced a couple at a time rather than as a whole set.

What I got from NY was a totally assembled action - brackets, rails, whips, butts, damper levers. damper blocks and hammer/shanks were included separately.

I'd never done anything like this before, and I did it on my own piano. I eventually sold it for not much more than the cost of the piano (cheap), action parts, labor, and service. We're talking about a seventy year old piano where everything else in the piano was in decent shape. Maybe a piano that's thirty years older would look different from a cost/profit perspective.

Good Luck.

Carl