[CAUT] Thanks! (PTG Convention and institute)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jul 22 21:06:38 MDT 2009

	I'll echo the pat on the back for the institute committee: very
smoothly and efficiently run, and a great lineup My only complaint is
that I was scheduled to teach opposite Andre Oorebeek, so I missed his
class ;-( Can't really complain, because the institute team got to
attend zero of the classes they lined up.
	This convention was an especially interesting one because of some
fairly radical things that were presented, things that I think we will
be seeing for many years to come. A sampling:

1) Phoenix Piano Systems/Steingraeber. In short, amazing! The carbon
fiber board was remarkable. The sound had elements that were different
from spruce, but overall it sounded, well, like a good piano. Like a
piano with extra power and carry. When you played harder, there seemed
to be more of a power increase as opposed to simply voicing gradient
compared to a wooden board.
	But the Phoenix System bridge termination/coupling system was the
real eye opener. They had four grand pianos set up. One was a 5'8" (or
so) Steingraeber with carbon board and Phoenix bridge. Next to it an
identical piano, but with spruce board, Next to it a Steingraber
concert grand in traditional setup (standard pinned bridge). And
finally a rebuilt Baldwin, with the terminators going up to near the
top of octave 5, standard pinned bridge above. So you could tell what
difference it made very obviously.
	My verdict? Wow! Wapin on steroids. Sustain and clarity. And lots of
"side effects" that go along with losing those bridge pins (like all
the complaints we constantly make about them, from noises to dirty
termination to false beats to tuning issues).
	Bottom line, I think this is the real thing, well worth the
convention just to see it. This is the invention of some Brits, at http://www.hurstwoodfarmpianos.co.uk/
. I assume they will be selling/licensing the bridge system, though
the website doesn't talk about that (yet, at least). Retrofit would
require milling a few mms off the bridge top, so it is far more
involved than a Wapin job.
	BTW, this system is set up with zero downbearing (the coupling system
makes downbearing unnecessary). The carbon fiber board is less than 2
mm thick. The spruce board with the Phoenix System was 4 mm thick. A
wee bit revolutionary.

2) Weickert felt (a product of the Wurzen felt company licensed
exclusively to Renner), debuting on the Ravenscroft piano. I think the
Weickert felt is very much parallel to the Abel Natural felt, and that
both of these are a real step forward. After nearly 30 years of
watching the latest crazes in hammers come and go, I have become a bit
jaded. But now I think we finally have something real. A lot of the
"fads" have focused on the hammer pressing operation, from cold to hot
to in between, hard to soft to medium. And results have been pretty
unpredictable, at least in my limited experience.
	Both Renner Weickert and Abel Natural are going back to basics of
felt making. Both reject the use of acids and bleaches in processing
the wool (both of which are bound to damage fibers). Both take extra
care to the details of felt making: laying out the carded fibers so
that the fibers are aligned (meaning layers of felt around the hammer
molding, thus control of tension and compression); carefully
controlled felting process so that there is extraordinary consistency
in density and interlocking of fibers; control of dimension, so that
the sheet has just the right taper to go into the cutting and pressing
without sanding; a controlled gradient of density from bass to treble.
The result is a very consistent felt, that makes a very consistent
hammer. The raw sound is already quite nice, and tone gradient can be
developed by a very consistent needling technique.

3) WNG parts. We have all heard about a number of their new products
in the past few months, and have all received promo materials. They
are still moving ahead at a rapid pace. Coming up are shanks with
adjustable knuckles: like with wippens and heels, the knuckles can be
glued to fit into a range of notches to get something like 15 to 19 mm
in half mm increments (buy one set and experiment, and then set it up
the way you want to). Also on the horizon is a new hard bushing, of a
teflon like material. They have tested it to some number of million
swings and found friction to move very little, while firmness stays
the same. Set in plastic flanges, humidity will obviously not be a
factor. They also have sets of burnishers and reamers by .0005" (half
thousandths) with lovely handles.

4) Stanwood's adjustable key ratio invention. This allows for a
fulcrum to be moved under each key (all of them moved the same amount
at once), somewhat on the same theory as using split felt punchings to
adjust where the key pivots. The device allows for action ratio to be
changed between 5:1 and 6:1 (moving the fulcra about 4-5 mm). The
result is very interesting, and it confirms experimentally some
thoughts that have been expressed (by myself among others) about the
probable effect on tone and tonal control (due to different
acceleration possibilities).
	This was installed on David's personal M&H A, with fairly light,
fairly mellow hammers. In the class I attended, it was played by a
couple pianists, and it was quite obvious which ratio was which just
by listening. In comparison, the 5:1 sounded like a subtle muffler
felt had been placed between the hammers and the strings. The higher
ratio made for a more singing tone, and for more of a gradient between
melody and accompaniment. This, of course, should be taken with a
grain of salt, as applying to this particular setup. In any case, a
remarkable experiment, allowing us to hear the results of a single
change that is otherwise difficult to achieve. Whether or not this
turns into a widespread devise (I'm sure it will have at least a niche
market), its educational uses are invaluable.

5) On a smaller scale, those who have read Oorebeek's book and watched
the DVD, will have seen that sandpaper he describes as mylar backed
which he used for filing hammers. I saw and read, and I went looking,
and found nothing available. Jurgen of Pianoforte Supply has made it
available. Expensive, but wonderful stuff (at least on first use, and
I think it will hold up very, very well). It is micron graded
abrasives, so you get ratings of size rather than number per area. It
is an industrial product, aimed at use for machining things like
crankshafts, best I have been able to figure out. Anyway, for
practical, everyday use, this is something that will certainly change
my life for the better. Cuts beautifully, very stable backing, so it
can be controlled very well for fine results.

	Lots more. Those are just a selection of things that stuck out
particularly for me. The state of the piano manufacturing industry is
very shaky, but the state of piano technology is seemingly in fast
forward mode.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico