[CAUT] Tuning a Bluthner

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Jul 24 09:49:22 MDT 2009

  --------------------------
Very insightful, this . . . .

When nicely tuned the effect seems to give una-corda sweetness with
decreased attack, while also providing the sustain effect of very
slightly mis-tuned unisons, as one might do to improve sustain.  I
like the system, but it's too expensive for most pianos, and is
perhaps underappreciated by musicians because it is too dependent on
the technician to tune it nicely.

Don Mannino
----------------------------------

Thanks, Don. You know, I think I can see another reason (other than
expense) that more piano makers don't adopt the fourth string. Few
manufacturers can make instruments with the total beatless clarity in
the treble needed for the self-canceling "perfect" tuning effect to
take place throughout. Maybe they don't want to - in some ways it
isn't as musical as having some messiness in there, especially in
octave 7. That nasty beaty grainy sound in the highest octave which
we struggle to make clear does project tone past the edge of the stage ...

I think Kawai could qualify for making that kind of clarity, and a
very few others, but it's pretty rare. Also, Bluethner perhaps has
some patents still in force? That notch in the bearing is a fairly
recent development, isn't it? I belive they used a different system earlier?

Best,
Susan Kline