[CAUT] journal

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 1 14:56:21 PST 2009

Received the excellent new Journal today.   I especially liked Fred Sturms writing in the EDT, debate 1 series.
This is exactly my take on the ETD and fine tuning.

Fred did not specifically say this, but I am essentially tuning unisons (#1 priorty) as I proceed through the tuning.   My main concern beyond unisons are octave types, 4ths/5ths and even progression fast beating intervals.   In my unison tuning I am tuning every string with the ETD and refining the unison as needed aurally and visually.   It is interesting to see how much a string needs to be changed from the ETD to make the unison as still as possible.  I don't work from the idea that "I'm going to tune this string exactly perfect and now it is done".   I am tuning all 3 strings then tuning them again refining the unison.   Progressing up the scale, if something sticks out, usually a single octave, a quick re-check with the ETD will show something has changed or I need to change something...What I  particularly like is coming back for concert service night after night and being able to see what changes have happened since the last tuning.   For me, a touch up tuning is tightening up the unisons.   I don't often do a touchup tuning, but a quick check of all the A's thoughout the piano tells me what is going on.   I can offset the the pitch a slight amount if that is what is going on, i.e. .5 cents flat.   In other words, I'm able to tune and make the smallest overall change to the piano.
David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044