[CAUT] Tunic OnlyPure Software

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Mar 3 08:59:50 PST 2009

Hi Ron.

If Stopper stated his tuning is not a P-12ths tuning... then I am quite
sure he has no problem with the implementation of said I have on
Tune-lab, or the many ear tunings based on exactly the same setting of
intervals.  Since this clearly is not his position... something is not
quite right with your clues line up. As far as what works on all
pianos...  The P12ths tuning I do most certainly does work on all
pianos.  About the only thing you need to take regard to is which kind
of 12ths coincidental you use in the bass.  But thats the same kind of
thing we do in octave tunings.

Stopper does not discount inharmonicity per se... nor does any sensible
tuning.

Cheers
RicB

     >From RicB:

    ...You can quite easily accomplish a P-12ths tuning ..."

    Let's follow the <thin> clues we have so far.

    1. Stopper has stated that his tuning is NOT a P-12ths tuning.
    2. I've experimented with P-12ths tunings, they don't seem
    appropriate for many types of pianos.
    3.  Kent stated that he's tried the OnlyPure on many types of pianos
    and the tuning "worked" for all of them.
    4. Stopper's definition of "pure" is not the same as the traditional
    tuner's nomenclature of a partial match.  (something about where the
    sum of beats of all relevant partial matches of octave and
    octave-fifth are at a minimum...)

    So where does that lead?  Not to a simple Tunelab curve. It's an
    interesting puzzle.  Especially since Stopper seems to discount
    inharmonicity - the software seems to work without any measurements
    from the piano to customize the tuning.

    Ron Koval

    Concordia University