[CAUT] SD10 "Elephant graveyard"?

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Mar 3 16:07:39 PST 2009

Jim,

I believe the SD-10 is a very good design. One of my first rebuilds
was an SD-10 (a 1975 piano in fact, same year as yours), and it had a
wonderful tone post rebuild. Unfortunately at the time of the piano's
first rebuild (1988) my understanding of action geometry was somewhat
primitive. It continued to be terrible to play until we rebuilt it
again recently when I fitted an Overs action and a new in-house
designed keyboard, made by Rick Wheeler. The SD-10 has great
potential for rebuilding.

Certainly there are major problems with the standard instrument but
all can be rectified by a competent re-manufacturer. The SD-10 has by
far the best plate out of the D and SD-10, and it all has to do with
plate weight. The SD-10 plate is massive, which will allow a properly
re-built version of the piano to be a simply wonderful instrument,
provided that an appropriately-decent soundboard with a larger bass
corner cut-off and a treble cut-off is built for the beast. The major
problem with the factory SD-10 was workmanship, which was so sloppy
everywhere that the inherently-good design of the piano wasn't
capable of being realised. Without quality craftsmanship good design
is worth nothing.

One of the major difficulties with institutions, and it has been
happening throughout my entire 34 year career in the business, is
that they have this un-informed attitude that once a concert piano is
worn out it can no longer be returned to the performance levels of a
new piano, so successive instruments get put further down the
rehearsal room chain until they are finally disposed of as hopeless
wrecks. Just a re-string and hammers doesn't return a piano with a
'dead' board to health. But since hammers and strings is all that
most institutional pianos ever get in the way of 'rebuilding', the
myth continues as each instrument works its way down the
rehearsal-room line to certain-death. Furthermore, to the dealer's
delight, he/she can load the problems with the traded piano onto the
last rebuilder who worked on it because, as all dealers know,
soundboards never die as they grow old, they only sound that way.

The truth is that with many of these pianos, provided that the rim
hasn't de-laminated and that enough mass of quality wood was used for
the rim and belly, they can be rebuilt with the best of contemporary
thinking to transform them into a piano which would simply run-rings
around the factory fodder which comes from writing another goddamn
check for another goddamn new instrument. But this story never gets
to be told, because there's no golden-under-the-table handshake for
the institutional rep who is negotiating the deal, when he/she is
dealing only with a rebuilder. The gravy-train goes on while no-one
gives a damn, because all the right nests are being thoroughly
feathered.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY