[CAUT] "key coloration"

Dan Reed pianoarts at tx.rr.com
Sun Mar 8 12:13:15 PDT 2009

Fred writes....
> 	"So, while I am willing to believe that there were fine tuners in the
> 19th century who might have adjusted their "quasi-ET" tunings to favor
> the white keys (though I doubt very many were that adept), I am quite
> convinced that they did so by adjusting and balancing 5th sizes, "

My vote is, that comparing the P5 to the M3rd, the M3rd  was (and still
is), the target interval to adjust......the interval that most
dramatically stands out, from beatless.

P5's in ET @ the center of the keyboard, are 1/2 bps...not  a dramatic
sensation or difference from beatless, as the ET M3rd compared to
beatless.

The importance of the pure 3rd is influenced by classical singers and
string players. Two singers may be inclined to target a beatless 3rd...
and the solo Violin player..do they play ET 3rds?

Dan Reed
Dallas,Tx