[CAUT] Nossman Rebuilds.

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Mar 9 09:52:26 PDT 2009

Hi Kevin!

Welcome to caut-dom!  How big is the inventory you have there at TTU?  Did
you come from a different school or were you (as I was) an independant
contractor? This list is GREAT for getting help with piano problems, how
to handle faculty and staff and budgets, etc.  They've helped me get some
firm understanding and clarity in my 3 very quick years here at UNL.

Best of Luck in your new adventure!

Paul T. Williams, RPT
Univ. of Nebraska, Lincoln

"Fortenberry, Kevin" <kevin.fortenberry at ttu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
03/09/2009 11:46 AM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

"caut at ptg.org" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Nossman Rebuilds.

To all,

This is my first entry to the caut list.  I am the new tech at Texas Tech
University.  Although  this may be a bit delayed,  I just want to put my 2
cents worth in on the Nossman-ized pianos. In a nutshell: they are
INCREDIBLE!  A large number of us from the TSA-PTG Seminar in Richardson a
couple of years ago took tour to SMU and compared the Nossman Steinway D
with a regular D side by side. I do not remember one negative comment
about the Nossman, but there was an incredible amount of Ooo ing and
AAhhhing, and WOWS  and double WOWS.  Everyone needs to see and play one
of these pianos to experience it for themselves.  One of my favorite
features is the elimination of the tri-chords in the bass.  Every time I
tune the bass (on the Smith piano)one of the 2 D s in our recital hall
here, my mind goes back to that “Nossman” and I think “If only this piano
could be Nossmanized”.  The proof is in the pudding—give one of them a
listen.

Also,  One of our D s was rebuilt by Mohlberg just outside Austin, and it
is also a wonderful piano. It is a dream to tune (except of course those
pesky tri-chords in the bass.) It’s as great of a traditional  rebuild as
any I have seen or played.  If a school, etc. cannot afford a specialty
rebuild, or wants a traditional rebuild, I HIGHLY recommend Mohlberg and
Associates.