[CAUT] Rebuilds.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Mar 11 12:51:50 PDT 2009

Just in over the buzz beam...if its true then it looks like you guys may
be getting your big break.

1. Renner Germany is down to 2 days a week production
2. Seiler after being taken over by Samick will most likely not survive.
3. Schimmel is on the brink.
4. Petrof has started to manufacture furniture to keep its workers busy.
5. Steinberg is operating at a loss they figure is less expensive then
not working a full week.
6. Steinway and Sons is cutting production and the NY factory is at 3
weeks out of a month.

Much of this because of the spreading ripple effect of the deepening
financial crisis.  If worse comes to worst... we may be in for a major
shake-up in the not to distant future. Seems to me this will last for
only a limited period of time before some new piano god takes over and
the status quo restored to its normality. As Ed pointed out... and I
agree with.  People will be people (to paraphrase). Pianists seem to
need that crutch the aura of mystic splendor however false the reigning
equivilant of Steinway gives them.

In anycase... if S&S does end up biting the dust along with some of
these others... the door is wide open for those with the resources to go
through and exploit the situation.

I wonder how easy it will be tho to produce some of the high end custom
stuff we hear talk about on a level beyond a few pianos each year ?
Running a small shop is one thing... pumping out enough pianos to
compete in the larger market place is another. It will be for sure and
interesting ride.

Cheers
RicB