[CAUT] silicone (was Re: VSProfelt vs alcohol/water/softener vs steam)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Mar 12 09:44:18 PDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Jim Busby wrote:

> I mean, I've heard horror stories of silicon and tuning pins. Like
> maybe one drop and the pin turns into a black hole or something...

	Yes, there have been a number of horror stories at least of a
speculative sort about silicone, partly to do with tuning pins, mostly
to do with finishes. The notion is that "silicone creeps" - that it
moves along the  string to the tuning pin and into the block, for
instance (if applied to a capo to lubricate). I guess most of us read
the stories, but frankly I have never entirely believed it. Has anyone
actually experienced this?
	About the effect on finishes, there is no question silicone causes
fisheyes when spraying lacquer (say on a refinish job). The solution?
"Fisheye remover" which is, from what I have been told, a silicone
solution - you add some to the finish before spraying. IOW, adding
enough of the material counters the effect, I guess. It does work.
	Lots of furniture polishes have silicone solutions in them, so the
stuff is omnipresent and almost bound to get on the finish of any
piano eventually. I guess I have heard that consistent use of a
silicone based polish would have a negative effect on the finish.
Again, I'd like to know how true this is, not having seen it happen.
(I have always recommended non-silicone polishes, but that's just
because of hearsay).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico