[CAUT] STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!!!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 13 13:50:04 PDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Porritt, David wrote:

> OK, what’s the theory here?  When knuckles need to be bolstered or
> the leather tightened – what was the cause?  Did the core felt get
> too packed, or did the leather stretch?  If the leather stretched,
> the bolstered knuckle will be larger changing the action ratio
> some.  If the felt packed down and you make the leather shorter the
> knuckle will be smaller and also change the action ratio.  Since in
> many cases we didn’t see the knuckles when new and even if we did
> there’s probably zero chance that we’ll remember how large the
> knuckles were originally.  Which repair would keep the action ratio
> the same?

	If you have the time and money to worry about action ratio, you can
replace parts. If you have an old action where either the leather has
stretched and become sloppy, or the core felt has compacted, leaving
the leather sloppy, you can improve the feel and response of the
action by tightening the leather. Bolstering, to my mind, is not as
good a way to go, as it misshapes the knuckle - and it's a pain in the
butt to do. If the action is worn enough that the cause is compacted
felt, there are no doubt other issues that would be dealt with in an
ideal scenario. But stretching will improve things, regardless. The
tiny difference in knuckle diameter will have a small effect compared
to the impact of tight vs sloppy leather. That's my take, at any rate.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu