[CAUT] STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!!!

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 15:27:24 PDT 2009

Dave writes:

<<  I've bolstered a few knuckles in my lifetime, but I have been much more
prone to replace parts.  I do, seriously, try to calculate the cost of some of
these jobs that save old parts and compare that cost to new parts and usually
the new parts win.  Time is usually the big factor to renewing old
parts...i.e. it will take a week to get new parts but this has to be done by tomorrow. >>

        It is definitely a triage approach to spend the time trying to
recondition knuckles, since the pinning is also going to be worn, (usually).  When I
did want to tighten the leather, I did not bolster under the center, where
the jack contacts, but rather, on the distal side of the knuckle.  This pulls
the  leather tighter, and the bulge created is safely away from any working
interaction with the repetition,(which sees only the bottom and proximal surfaces
of the knuckle.  I suppose a slight increase in surface area might result, but
the difference in repetition/knuckle contact isn't something that I have ever
seen to be a problem.  It is a lot faster than cutting leather and clamping,
as it can be done without removing the shanks.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours
in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%
3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)</HTML>