[CAUT] Temperment check inquiry

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Sun Mar 15 14:14:42 PDT 2009

   The theory behind checks for intervals as I now understand it, though my understanding of aural tuning is constantly changing, is that the note we use to check the interval also has a coincident partial that agrees with the coincident partials of the interval we use the check for.
   So with the first example you gave, more specifically, checking the fourth of E3 to A3 with C3, we find that the partials coincide for all these at E5, being the 5th partial of C3, the 4th partial of E3, and the 3rd partial of A3.
   Technically, then, partials do coincide, more remotely, with the check you suggested for D# to G#, i.e. the C above both. E.g., we find that the 12th partial of D#3, and the 9th partial of G# 3, coincide with the 7th partial of C4 at A#6, I believe, if I calculated correctly. It is more remote than the more traditional check, but theoretically, it should work in some manner, because the partial coincide.