[CAUT] Multi Piano Software

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 20 11:44:51 PDT 2009

I still use, and very much like, FileMaker 6. Getting a bit long in
the tooth, but it still works well with Leopard. My understanding is
that FileMaker has stopped the mobile application entirely, and gone
to a web-based system. That is, you keep a copy of your data file(s)
on the web server, and access it with whatever local device you
have . I haven't done this yet, as I'm dragging my feet on the extra
cost of high-speed cell phone web access. But it's coming. If it's
half as nice as I'm fantasizing, I'll like it. I'll just be a little
paranoid about keeping local copies of the files.

In the meantime, I've been reduced by the Windows Mobile OS (not my
favorite!) to exporting FileMaker data to an Excel spreadsheet and
reading it on my Treo. It does work, but I do not input customer data
there--only on my Mac. A one-way push of data. The web-based access
would provide syncing all ways in real time, depending on your setup.
And FileMaker is both easy (well, pretty easy) and powerful.

So I dream of an iPhone 3 and mobileme, etc. All it takes is $$. And
then it would be nice to run the tuning software on the iPhone...

As to the potential for data loss on index cards vs digital data,
well I got one word: BACKUP!

Doug