[CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri May 1 17:08:43 PDT 2009

Hi Jeff... comments mixed in below.

    Hi Ric,
    I've noticed the same effect on every Accujust Baldwin grand I've
    ever tuned. Yes, that is also what I suspect the noise is that I
    hear.  My assumption is that the strike vibration does travel across
    the bridge exciting the back lengths, traveling down the vertical
    hitch and resonating in the plate.

Interesting thought to be sure.... but then you would have to find an
explanation for how such transfer of energy into the Baldwin plate is
inherent in the plate/vertical hitch pin configuration. And you'd have
to quantify the claim that this happens in all cases...which entails
identifying and quantifying the plate ring (I guess thats what you are
hearing) in the first place. I'd say a sample of say 15-20 instruments
would suffice to work as a valid statistical sample group. Would be cool
if you could pull it off.

     I never muted the back length, because I was respecting what I
    assumed to be the result of the intended design.  I've never been a
    fan of muting either "non-speaking" length, because while it does
    help with eliminating some tones which sound objectionable up close,
    it absolutely kills the overall tone and projection to an audience.

You raise an interesting point here... one I was recently confronted
with with an S&S D in a very large hall.  There was a very long and loud
ringing sustain from sympathetic vibration of the back length of D#4.
You could hear it as a sound similar to a weak damper not quite keeping
the singing length quite depending on the notes being played.  Had to be
muted for the pianists sake.... he was up close and personal and it
annoyed the patooteys out of him. Had to extend the factory back length
muting a bit to cover the area.  It did cut down a bit on projection...
nothing most folks would notice... at least consciously... but it was a
trade off that had to be made. So when is this kind of thing
<<necessary>> and when is it not.   I surely wouldn't stand on principle
in making the decision myself

Cheers
Ricb