[CAUT] pin-block plugging?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 2 10:20:45 PDT 2009

I've been reading of the disappointing results people have had
plugging blocks with 3/8" plugs. I've plugged two blocks in
30+ years, both times with 1/2" plugs and Titebond, with no
problems other than the time it takes. I've never considered
the 3/8" plugs substantial enough to use. Consider that you
are putting a 0.282" pin into a 0.375" plug. If you are using
a high density block like Falconwood or Delignit, you'll be
drilling somewhere in the range of 0.266"-0.272" pilot hole.
That leaves a "tube" of plug that's, at most, 0.055" wall
thickness. Any deviation in drilling angle and centering will
very possibly put you out of the plug altogether in some area.
A thin walled tube of cross ply wooden laminate won't have a
heck of a lot of physical integrity. If there's any spring
left to the old block, driving in a pin will fracture the plug
and expand it into the block, resulting in less of an
interference fit and lower pin torque than you would have
gotten in a new block. A 1/2" plug would leave at least a
0.117" wall, which still isn't a lot, but is substantially
more solid than the 3/8" plug.

My take, for what it's worth.
Ron N