[CAUT] ghost tuning

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue May 5 20:54:14 PDT 2009

If you're testing a 6:3 octave (for example) then you would hold down C1 and
C2 so that the dampers are lifted off the strings but the hammers don't
actually strike the strings.  Hold down mute, it's called, and then strike
(not hold down), strike and let go of the G3.  Striking G3 will excite the
6th partial of C1 and the 3rd partial of C2 in isolation.  You then can
listen for the beats that form between that particular coincident partial
without the confusion of the other partials.  If you are tuning a pure 6:3
octave then you manipulate the lower note (presumably) until it is beatless.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com