[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu May 7 20:58:30 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
> I've added vertical hitches to a number of pianos with no such result.
> Have you?

Ron, you're getting defensive.

No. But I have described a congruent example that does. And my only
experience with the vertical hitch is with the Baldwin. Perhaps it is
something that only the Baldwin will produce, but it is most definitely
there.  Have you removed the vertical hitches from the Baldwin to see if it
goes away (obviously, this isn't possible without major redesign)?  Maybe it
is the suspended plate, but I wager that if the vertical hitches were not in
place, it would not be there - at least not so prominently.  Perhaps the
vertical hitches you added had other factors that quelled the vibration.
Since you were adding them to a design that previously did not have them,
the hitch was closer to the plate than the accujust so the pitch of the
vibration was higher and not so offensive?

But the grunt of the stob doesn't lie.  The vibration is transmitted very
long distances through solid earth from a simple 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" wooden
stake.  And I know that the Baldwin accujust plate rings.  It is the exact
same model.

Jeff