[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri May 8 07:04:55 PDT 2009

Actually, let me put this a different way.  I don't believe it would be
incorrect to say that while the sound is amplified, the soundboard is not an
amplifier.  We shouldn't confuse the energy produced and transferred with
the volume of "sound".  It's only sound by virtue of the soundboard existing
in a air medium.  Were the piano existing in a vacuum there would still be
transfer of energy to the soundboard, but there would be no sound because
there is no air to move.  The amplification of sound comes about because the
soundboard is more efficient at moving more air than the strings.  That is a
different thing altogether than talking about the energy which is
transferred from the string to the soundboard.  That represents only half of
what is taking place.  Amplified when referring to the sound volume is an
appropriate term, I believe.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com