[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri May 8 13:43:00 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
To: <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

> David Love wrote:
>> Seemed like we got sidetracked on the amplifier thing.  I am inclined to
>> agree with Don M. that the plate resonance may be something else and that
>> the hitch is not likely responsible.  Checking for open backscale lengths
>> would be my first choice.
>
> Yea, that's why we started with that 50 posts ago.

Open back scale lengths are not what I'm describing, although that is there
also. It is a much lower pitch, exactly like the sound of knocking on the
plate behind the hitches.

> I haven't either. I've heard lots of dead boards, lots of front duplex
> noises, lots of nasty hard hammers, and what someone once described as the
> "low chorus" coming from the long open back scale, but nothing like a
> plate resonance.

I wouldn't describe it as resonance, in the sense of a sympathetic
vibration.  It's just like you whack the plate with your knuckles when the
hammer hits the string. It doesn't continue to ring.

No, I have not redesigned a Baldwin to see if the sound goes away. I don't
own any that I can experiment on.   Now that I am no longer at the
university, my exposure to Baldwins is reduced to rare to never.  The SD-10
at our church is the only one I have access to and I'm not going to go up
there and tear it down to experiment with changing plate height and
downbearing. Muting the backlengths might be one way to reduce it, but that
is like taking allergy medicine to deal with an allergy -- you're masking
symptoms and not getting to the problem.

Jeff