[CAUT] Semantics

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri May 8 14:02:12 PDT 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> I apologize for using the word "amplify" incorrectly, as those of
> you understand it.  Here's how I and the rest of the world
> previously understood the meaning of "amplify":
>
> Amplify: 1. To make larger or more powerful; increase. 2. To add to,
> as by illustration and make complete. 3. Exaggerate. 4. Electronics.
> to produce amplification of.  verb: to write or discourse at length;
> expatiate.
>
> Source: American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd College Edition.
>
> So, who has the correct definition? Physicists or the rest of the
> world?
>
> Is it soccer or football?
>
> Semantics.

	I think that American Heritage has it pretty well correct.
	I think Don Mannino's post was an excellent way of putting these
things. We don't call a speaker an amplifier. We don't call a pair of
earbuds amplifiers. Amplifiers amplify: "make larger or more powerful,
increase." A speaker doesn't make anything larger or more powerful. It
simply "transduces" (maybe "transfer" is an easier term to understand)
the motion of the driver, which is activated by the signal coming from
the amplifier, which amplifies the information coming from whatever
input source it is reading.
	It's a matter of taking energy  and transferring it to vibrations in
the air. The speaker membrane is inert, as is the soundboard. Provide
energy input, and it will vibrate and move air. It won't increase the
energy input, it simply changes it into motion that moves air.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu