[CAUT] Semantics

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat May 9 11:02:50 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca>
To: <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Semantics

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Please don't be obtuse.

I rather think it is the physicists here who are being obtuse and unwilling
to accept that the word amplify is understood by non-physicists to mean
something slightly different that what it means to a physicist.  We're
bickering over a semantics issue when everybody on the list knew what I
meant.  Let's move on and accept that what I meant was that the "volume of
noise was made larger and more powerful" rather than trying to make others
feel stupid and ignorant in front of the congregation.

Jeff