[CAUT] Semantic Gymnastics, Semiotiagraffical Apologetics, And Ventriliqual Howlers I Refuse to Abjure

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Sat May 9 13:10:56 MDT 2009

    Hello Tuning Fanatics, ETD Programmers/Addicts, Engineers, Fishers, and Many Stars that I Cannot Ignore,
   On the subject of semantics, I am obliged to clarify my use of a word that a local technician brought to my attention, for those who managed to get through some of my contributions to the list. The hodge-podge assembly of information that inveterately develops in a situation like this can complicate our ability to convey what we mean. The nuisance editors cause in the process of making our ideas clear and concise is a step we are liberated from in this process of determining how false a step this is by CAUT and the PTG to have created in the first place. I think we need to be tactful when those graciously taking time to read cannot get into our heads for us to interpret our particular idée fixe, however unduly critical the Other might be, and on the other foot, realize that our editorial remarks are not official in any way, shape, or form for the most part.
   Hook, line, and sinker, caveat emptor. We all pay guild dues, I assume, and so, this is the product; every contribution should be respected for that reason, though I am not sure membership is required. In my opinion, the hazard of contriving such a carte blanche type of forum to express our convictions needs to be guarded as a privilege. Be gentle, and understand we are lucky. Or, on the other hand, as the aforementioned local piano player Pratt has posted on his studio wall:

"Ye though I Walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil, For I Am the Meanest Son of a B_tch in the Valley," or something like this.

   Apparently, I have used contiguous as ersatz for parallel. When I called a 10th contiguous, I did not mean C1, E2, G#3, C5. However nascent my ideas about tuning, it is dubious that I will ever tune contiguous 10ths at any stage of development until the day I die. I assumed the word to be interchangeable with the parallel notion that by the contiguous 10ths I would mean C1-E2, C#-F, D-F#, etc. Howl if you might, like the wolf you are, and I will be the boy to cry about it.
   I am certain whoever I defend that I shall nevertheless in spite of this concession remain your newest favorite bête noire. Clang, Bloom, Sizzle, what's that clang I hear?
    For all those who tuned aurally enough years to care a wit about it,

-          Ben