[CAUT] Semantics

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sat May 9 17:57:44 MDT 2009

In a message dated 5/9/2009 5:47:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

I  don’t think it’s a constructive way to pursue this type of dialogue.
That’s all.
David...

If clarity of language is not a constructive activity for  you, or
"nit-picking", as you say, then it will certainly bore you. My feeling  is, always
has been, and always will be, that the more clearly we talk with each  other,
and the more we try to understand each other's lexicon, particularly the
weird technical lexicon of vibratory acoustics, the closer to each other's
minds  we get. It is like very fine regulation and the helical circularity of
the  steps through which we go to achieve fine regulation. I'm certain you
don't  think that that is nit-picking.

I think also that we have a responsibility to the larger and  future
community of piano technicians to hone our language to express our  meaning as
clearly as possible. The fuzzier our language, the fuzzier our  brains. I for
one am not willing to allow not just fuzzy, but wrong and  misleading
language to persist in my chosen profession.

Also, David, while the original thread is not lost (it's  easily
retrievable, we know exactly where it is), it is a matter of civil,  interesting, and
human discourse to take the elements of our conversation  happily where they
need to go in order to make the stepping stones of our  progressive
understanding clearer and more easily seen. Otherwise one or  the other of us lands
in the rushing current flowing around them.  None of us wishes that on the
other, surely, but that we all cross the torrent  safely.

Paul

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)